India is a land of religious beliefs, and one of them lies in the confluences of rivers which is regarded as sacred and holy. Apart from their religious significance, they are full of natural beauty and majestic views. Following are few of the river confluences in India which would leave you speechless
Nandprayag is a small town situated at the sanctified confluence of the River Alaknanda and Nandakini River. The foundation of Alaknanda River is Satopanth which is located very close to the Badrinath Dham and Nandakini River arising from the bottom of the Nanda Devi Peak. The confluence of the two river can very clearly spotted and is regarded holy. It’s a site of pilgrimage and a dip in the confluence is regarded as blessed.
Things to do
- Pay homage to the Badrinath Temple, which is a part of the Chardham circuit not too far away from Nandaprayag
- Enjoy skiing and paragliding at Auli, located at a distance of at 73 km of Nandaprayag. It also has the Asia’s highest and longest cable-car which connects Joshimath.
- Only 53 km from Nandaprayag is the beautiful town Chopta also known as the mini Switzerland of India famous for majestic views of the mighty Himalaya
- Nandaprayag is famous for Spirituality, Trekking, Hiking and Sight-seeing.
Rudraprayag is a small town which is devoted to Lord Shiva. It is located at the sacred confluence of River Alaknanda and Mandakani rivers. It is very close to the beautiful city of Srinagar which is only 34 km away from the confluence. The route itself is a site of pilgrimage and people from all over the country often visit to see the Confluence of the two rivers which is full of tranquility and natural beauty.
Things to do
- Visit to the Agastamuni popular for as being the place where Agastya Rishi contemplated.
- Visit to Nandaprayag which is not too far away from Rudraprayag where Lord Shiva married Goddess Parvati.
- Trek to Kedarnath which is a major pilgrimage and an essential part of the char dham circuit.
- Enjoy mystifying views of the Himalaya from Khirsu which is a calm resort.
- 37 km away from Rudraprayag is a temple Okhimath which offers picturesque sight of the Himalayas.
- If you are lucky to visit Rudraprayag during Shravana month then do enjoy the Nagpanchami festival which is celebrated in high spirits.
Devprayag is the confluence of two sanctified rivers Alaknanda and River Bhagirathi. The term Devprayag literally means the holy confluence in Sanskrit. Devprayag is a little city located in Tehri Garhwal region which is situated in the state of Uttarakhand. Being the last joint of the River Alaknanda Devprayag has its own spiritual significance as well as natural beauty. Devprayag is positioned on the Rishikesh – Badrinath highway which offers magnificent views of the two rivers adjoining into one.
Things to do
- Visit the Raghunathji Temple dedicated to Lord Rama.
- Test your adrenaline at Shivpuri which offers adventure sports like mountaineering, water rafting and kayaking.If you are fond of yoga ,then try the yoga camps as well.
- Visit the Tehri Dam which is about 80Km from Devprayag.
- Pay pilgrimage to Chandrabadni temple dedicated to Goddess Sati.
The Vishnuprayag is yet another sanctified confluences which is one of the first confluence where the River Alaknanada joins the River Saraswati near Mana and then carry to flow in front of the Badrinath temple which has its own significance in the Hindu Dharama. The River Alaknanada which originates from the Satopanth glacier is regarded as pious which joins with the Dhauli Ganga River and is known as the Vishnu Ganges and is worshiped by many devotees.
Things to do
- Visit the beautiful Kagbbhushandi Lake to adore the beauty of its crystal clear water.
- Stopover for a marvelous experience of Valley of Flowers National Park.
- Pay homage to a temple located which is dated back to 1889 and is devoted to Rani Ahalyabai. The temple has a lot of significance which was first devoted to Lord Shiva, but now is worshiped in the name of Lord Vishnu.
- Take a dip in the Vishnu Kund which is built at the confluence and is regarded to be very sacred.
River Zanskar and River Indus
Leh and Ladakh may confuse you when it comes to start your journey; never the less Zanskar valley is a good option to kick start you journey as it’s full of natural beauty which would mesmerize you to the core. The sheer topographies shielded with snow imitate the blissful blue skies.. The majestic scenes of the confluence of the river Zanskar and River Indus is absolutely divine and is a heaven on Earth for river rafters in the heavy rapids.
Things to do
- The gushing sound of the tributaries of river Zanskar seems like welcoming you to this land of total bliss.
- Enjoy the picturesque drive from banks of Zanskar River to Chilling
- Try the Chadar trek on the route to Padum.
The above river confluences are a perfect idea for a spiritual as well as a leisure experience. It would definitely refresh you mind body and soul and prepare you to be a better person who is always ready for the worldly challenges.